Soho Factory is situated on Warsaw Kamionek which is one of the oldest parts of right-bank Warsaw. The whole area is outlined from the west (railway bridge) and north by the railway tracks (the border of South Praga district), from the east by Podskarbińska and Międzyborska street, from the south with George Washington Avenue, Prince Józef Poniatowski Avenue, and Poniatowski Bridge up to the Vistula river, and finally following the Vistula up to the railway bridge. Kamionek is the homeland of such landmarks as Wedel factory, Skaryszewski Park, Warsaw Wschodnia and Warsaw Stadion railway stations, Powszechny Theatre, The Warsaw School of Social Sciences and Humanities, the seat of the Orchestra Sinfonia Varsovia.

Kamion Settlement

"The first notes concerning this settlement date back XI century. Up then, Kamion ( Kamień) was the centre of commodities exchange as it was here that one could cross Vistula river to Solec. Kamion was a village with church, and together with Grochów, Gocław, and Gocławek they comprised so called kamionkowskie lands which belonged to the płocka chapter. Two elections of Polish kings took place on the lands of Kamion, including the first free election of reigning shortly Henry III of France  (1553). In 1733 August III Sas was elected there, too."*

Part of Warsaw

"Kamionek did not become part of Warsaw until 1889. At that time it counted over a hundred of houses and ten times more of inhabitants. Then did the dominating role in this region have metal and tanning industry (one of the oldest entrepreneurs of this kind was Charles Gerber’s laundry and dyeworks functioning from 1908 at Lubelska street).*

Kamionka Industry

"In the interwar period Kamionek transformed into the third industrial region in terms of employment within the borders of Warsaw (14 percent of the general amount of employment). At that time the Ammunition Plant “Pocisk” got itself located there. Moreover, it was also the place of origin of the Kazimierz Szpotański’s Plant of Electrical Devices, the Plant of Telephones and Telegraphs well known under the nickname of the “bell” factory, H. Kolberg’s Plant of Optical and  (after nationalizing in 1931 it became PZO – acronym that stands for Polish Plant of Optical Devices). Additionally, there were National Engineering Plant that produced inter alia cars, tractors, draisines, motive systems, iron casts, and finally fittings; Plant of Rubber Products “Rygawar”; Perkun, and the factory of chocolate Wedel. In 1938 there were 42 plants of mainly metallurgical line."*

Zakłady Amunicji Budynek Juty
The building of the old “Juta” within the area of Minska 25. The storage building (granary?) with well-preserved internal beam structure."*

"In 1917 in one of the buildings of the old “Juta” at the frontage of Minska street, at the main gateway to the property number 25 there used to be a disguised Józef Pisłudski’s flat, brigadier of the time. Currently, it belongs to Kasa Rolniczego Ubezpieczenia Społecznego (KRUS) - polish state-owned organizational unit responsible for social insurance of farmers. Juta Plant was disbanded after I World War. In 1920 all the factory lands were taken over in the presence of “First Marshal” Józef Piłsudski by the Ammunition Plant “Pocisk”. In September 1939 all the plant was bombed. The main production building got destroyed. After provisional post-war restoration firstly there were garages opened and later in new buildings – Warsaw Factory of Motorcycles that produces well-known motorbikes Osa."* OSA

*An excerpt of Ewa Komendowska’s article. (http://www.stowarzyszeniecreo.home.pl/29901/45701.html)